orvis battenkill disc review

I still love the classic lines of this mid-arbor look, but, to be blunt, the reel has scratched a lot, especially around the edges. This real is incredibly durable and has the same “no start-up inertia”, fully sealed, drag system that is found on the Hydros SL. The upper Madison River is perhaps the most famous and highly regarded wild trout stream in the Western US. I will break this section into two categories, first, function, and second, asthetics. The current model is made in China. The Flyfish Truck hatched as an idea in mid-2017 while looking at potential locations for a second retail store in Bozeman. It’s a hard knock life. Over that time my review has also become one of the most popular posts here on LP. Most importantly, despite the stupid abuse that I described above, my reel still functions perfectly. What it is, however, is a very very good reel at an absurdly reasonable price. There has been a long and historically successful line of Battenkill reels through Orvis history. On the other, a primary reason many step up to a machined part is for better durability, and if that durability isn’t there, well, there are a lot of cast reels in this price range. You can also shop the Battenkill Disc and all Orvis reel on Fins and Feathers’ online store. Do you mind sharing what line you’ve paired with your reel? Or, print the story, place it in a nice envelope, and send it to one of your friends. Basically we support any way you want to share. Orvis BATTENKILL DISC 7/8 FLY REEL Made In England For 7 8 Line WT Rod. On one hand, some scratches seem like a silly complaint on what is a very reasonably priced machined reel. The sealed, carbon and stainless stacked drag system promotes excellent tension when battling hard-fighting fish. Rainy October days can offer some of the best for fishing of the season. I know that it has not lived an easy life and I suppose with more care it would look better. Simple, trouble free, and easily accessible in price-the ultimate in function and simplicity throughout the years. 5. The Orvis Battenkill fly reel is based on a classic Orvis design and uses a click pawl instead of a disc drag. Staying true to its heritage in looks and performance, the Battenkill Disc Reel is designed to be powerful but still reasonably priced. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Add a Review. Couldn’t quite make it out. Is it the SA Amplitude? Terms & Conditions, Full Day - $595 for 1-2 peopleHalf Day - $550 for 1-2 People, © 2021 Fins & Feathers Site Design By: Prime-Incorporated, Toll-Free: This finish gives the reel a retro aesthetic while keeping it structurally strong and soundly durable. Learn how your comment data is processed. Or, you could click the links below to share with your friends directly. Welcome to the powerful, technologically advanced, and yet still accessible new generation of Battenkill reels. Reviewed in the United States on August 1, 2018. If you don’t like non-fishing topics on your fishing blogs, you know where the x button is. ( Log Out /  The porting and finish pay unmistakable homage to the Battenkills of the past, but this reel incorporates our best-selling mid-arbor design. I bought it to replace a large arbor reel that did not balance well with my 8 ft 5 weight rod. ( Log Out /  Size: II (3-5 wt) Verified Purchase. The existence of this reel is made possible by the fact that under those classic lines hides a great deal of modernity. Orvis Battenkill Disc Fly Reel. Although there is no place that feels more like... Fins & Feathers of Bozeman’s fly shop accepts applicants for employment on a continual basis, year-round. Milled from aircraft aluminum, this fly reel offers the best in structural durability. Reddington offers the i.D. Yes. Designed on a computer, carved from a brick of aluminum by a machine more precise than all but the most expert human hands, and shipped across the ocean to a store where it sells for a price reflective of the fact that few people interceded in it’s manufacture, all while performing better than anything we used to have, the Battenkill Disc is the kind of product that makes you step back and realize just how powerful a machine modern life is. Battenkill Disc III for line weights 5-7, 4.9 oz., 3¼" diameter Battenkill Disc IV for line weights 7-9, 5.9 oz., 3½" diameter Battenkill Disc V for line weights 9-11, 6.8 oz., 4" diameter Orvis Battenkill Disc 5/6 Fly Reel Made in England with original zippered Orvis Case. The reels are machined for improved durability. Guide Service Outfitter The Disc is a bit heavy for it’s size but I have found that it actually balances very well with most rods. Welcome to the powerful, technologically advanced, and yet … The RSVP Motel, located on N. 7th Avenue in Bozeman offers boutique lodging in a remarkably central location. The Battenkill 2 is no exception. With a machined aluminum spool and housing, this reel can be thrown around and smashed on rocks only to show slight dings with no damage to functionality. To, “DON’T BREAK, BELOVED 4 WEIGHT.”. 0 users rated this 4 out of 5 stars 0. Comes just as pictured. Additional Info Reviews Additional Info Reviews 0 Reviews Be the first to review this product. Over that time my review has also become one of the most popular posts here on LP. Orvis Fly reels Estimated reading time 6 - 10 minutes. Yes, if you want a large arbor you can go to the slightly pricier, heavier, and uglier, Hydros SL (review forthcoming). 406.586.2188, Four Corners: The Jefferson River, along with the Madison and Gallatin, is one of the three tributaries that form the Missouri River near Three Forks, MT. The Orvis Battenkill Disc fly fishing reel has gone through many changes over the years. 1 users rated this 5 out of 5 stars 1. Thanks! Bozeman, MT 59718. The Battenkill Disc starts at only $149 and tops out at $198. Since that time I have fished the beejesus out of it, And it has yielded many fish, ranging from tiny. Near mint- superb condition. I’ve fished it with a ton of lines– Leland Custom 3 wt, Orvis Access 4 wt, Rio Gold InTouch 4 wt, and Airflo Xceed 5 wt. Check out our Montana fly fishing reports, to learn more about the current condition from some Southwest Montana rivers and streams. Receive fresh fishing reports, gear reviews, latest news, product closeouts, and more straight to your inbox. With that being said, let’s address the main benefit long term testing can provide: durability. Pictures are of actual item. Older models were made by a number of different manufacturers including BFR (British Fly Reels) and JW Young. Orvis Battenkill Reel. 81801 Gallatin Rd. If you look after it, it should last you a lifetime. Aesthetically, the story is not as positive. – 11wt.) 3" You are bidding on a previously owned and in good working condition Orvis Battenkill Disc 5/6 Fly fishing reel. 5.0 out of 5 stars. After one year of putting this work horse to the test it passed with flying colors. This reel is an incredible technical achievement, the latest in a series of steps moving fly fishing from an stuffy-rich-guys-club sport to something more democratic. The drag is smooth, but adjustment takes far to many turns of the knob. Change ). The old-school look of the Battenkill click reel was combined with new drag technology resulting in a smooth and sexy reel that will hold up to the test of time. The weather around Craig has been... YNP fishing season is now closed for the season. Here are some common questions we hear, time and time again, from prospective guests during the booking process. $179.99. If there is a reel that obviously beats the Battenkill on value, I don’t know what it is. This real is incredibly durable and has the same “no start-up inertia”, fully sealed, drag system that is found on the Hydros SL. The Orvis Battenkill Disc Fly Reel Spare Spool is a spare spool for the Orvis Battenkill Disc Fly Reel. I am thinking of buying a Battenkill to pair with a fiberglass rod – just think the ‘old school’ reel would look great on a glass rod. The “step-up” market, where this reel undoubtedly falls, is fickle and full of consumers (and significant others) who are wondering whether spending the extra money was really worth it. Of course this has to be contextualized within the (ab)use the reel has gone through. You can follow him on twitter @maxomillions. Silky water that slowly meanders its way through a valley floor lined with the Willows and hundred-year-old Cottonwood trees... Our Bozeman fly shop is best described as the “fish-head” shop as all of us spend most of our free time on the water, doing what we love to do... Fins & Feathers is a locally-owned and operated Montana fly fishing outfitter located in Bozeman, Montana. NEW generation of Battenkill Disc Reels! Orvis Battenkill Disc 5/6 Made in England Fly Fishing Reel Weight: 4.2 oz. There is nothing else included. Reviewed in the United States on August 1, 2018. It also means reels are often tossed down short scrambles and drug through long swims through slot canyons. While we are on the topic value, the Battenkill Disc remains at or near best in class. 5.0 out of 5 stars Low profile light weight great quality reel for the price. by Max Wilson. However, for what it is worth the two rods it has lived on look no worse for wear, which makes me suspect that better anodizing is in order. 1.877.790.5303 . Year round guided fly fishing trips in Bozeman are also offered. Yes– unquestionably yes — but it is also a sign that the world is changing and, as the Red Queen says, “…it takes all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.” Fly fishing is in for a wild ride over the next decade or so, and I, for one, am excited to see what’s next. Simple, proven, maintenance-free, and a great performance value. For starters, that slightly-too-heavy drag is extraordinarily smooth. Orvis has totally redesigned the Battenkill but kept the price low to make this a great choice for any angler. $388.00. 3. Simple, trouble free, and easily accessible in price-the ultimate in function and simplicity throughout the years. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. This means that when dropped reels fall directly on rim rock, not some fancy grass. My only quibble is that the handle has more play in it than I would like, though I am not sure if this is a problem that has developed over time or if it was like this out of the box. There is nothing else included. The Bozeman Holiday Inn Express is centrally located and an ideal choice for our Montana fly fishing guests. The blue-ribbon stretches of the river are generally considered... Montana spring creeks are home to some of the most coveted wild trout waters found anywhere in the world. What I’ve written here should make it clear that the Battenkill Disc isn’t perfect. He writes here at Lesser Places, occasionally for Backpacker, and even more occasionally for scientific journals. The Bighorn River is still fishing decent. On other topics, my feelings remain the same. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. Orvis Battenkill Disc 5/6 Made in England Fly Fishing Reel Weight: 4.2 oz. The upper Madison around $3 bridge is a good area to fish during the Winter. Were I Orvis remediating this problem would be my number one concern on the reel. The 3s and 4s both pair perfectly, but you have to be really careful with how much backing you put on for the 5. The Rio gold WF5F line was used once on another reel. 4. This latest Battenkill Disc version is true to its heritage in looks and performance but updated with the latest in design improvements and significantly more powerful drag. 5.0 out of 5 stars Low profile light weight great quality reel for the price. Size: II (3-5 wt) Verified Purchase. Fish are still eating streamers but the bite has slowed compared to the last month or so. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. The Yellowstone River is the quintessential large western river and provides a unique Montana fly fishing opportunity with over 100 miles of quality, wild trout water. Pictures are of actual item. One thing which stands out about the Orvis Battenkill Reel is the fact that it comes with a narrow spool, which is good because it means that there is less line stacking, which then leads to easier casting and retrieval. and Behemoth, neither of which have sealed drags and both of which are cast. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. As such, I thought it was a good time to step back and revisit this miracle of modern manufacturing to let you know how it has held up to a year and a half of hard southwestern fly fishing. Max Wilson is a born and raised Arizonan with a love for all that is beautiful and strange about the Southwest. In addition to the well-known Montana fly fishing waters that surround Bozeman, there are dozens of smaller streams and rivers that are rarely talked about, yet offer some amazing... DePuy’s Spring Creek is the classic, western spring creek. Sure, we have our fair share of nice, easy streams, but you are far more likely to find me fishyoneering deep within one of Arizona’s countless wilderness areas. Check them out and email us with additional questions or if you... What other people have experienced on there guided trips with us.... Fins & Feathers of Bozeman is unable to offer any credits or refunds of deposits when trips are canceled within 14 days of a scheduled trip. 3" You are bidding on a previously owned and in good working condition Orvis Battenkill Disc 5/6 Fly fishing reel. About a year and a half ago I wrote my review of the Orvis Battenkill Disc reel. In short, it this reel looks and performs like a classic because it is a classic. $179.00. Drag, knob and spool are tight/new. First, I want to open with a caveat: southwestern fly fishing is not for the faint of heart, at least not the way I do it. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! The reel is clicky, but could be clickier (Editor’s note– all reels should be clickier). Orvis Battenkill fly reel review. The old-school look of the Battenkill click reel was combined with new drag technology resulting in a smooth and sexy reel that will hold up to the test of time. The Orvis Battenkill Disc Drag Fly Reel is true to its heritage in looks and performance, but updated with the latest in design improvements and a significantly more powerful drag. Toby Swank // License #9603, Privacy Policy // This reel is by far one of the best mid priced reels that I have tried. shipping: + $14.99 shipping . I love this reel! I love this reel! Is that a good thing? There has been a long and historically successful line of Battenkill reels through Orvis history. $159.00 - $199.00 ... Battenkill Disc V Spey for line weights 9-11, 9.9 oz., 4" diameter . No paint loss. – 11wt) in the traditional style and in a IV and V (7wt. This Orvis fly reel comes in sizes I-V (1wt. 5.0 average based on 1 product rating. The mid-arbor is a wonderful combination of looks and practically. The quality is outstanding. The Element is located a block off Main Street in historic downtown Bozeman. You can follow Lesser Places by email, or on Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram using the menu at the top of the page. I want to close on a decidedly non-fishing topic: change. my review of the Orvis Battenkill Disc reel, Orvis Battenkill Disc Review | lesser places. This stretch typically remains ice-free and is home to a lot of trout. Orvis Battenkill Disc Review Date: 11/26/2018. NEW mid-arbor design Technically superior sealed-drag based on the Hydros SL Ported jewel finish Battle-tested performance, remarkably accessible price In sizes I through V There has been a long and historically successful line of Battenkill reels through Orvis … The Orvis Battenkill II Disc Reel combines classic reel design with a top of the line drag system making it a perfect match for any 3-5wt rod in your arsenal. Just a few years ago a very, very good fly reel at $150ish dollars was simply unimaginable. The Orvis Battenkill Disc is a very nice reel that I feel is commonly overlooked. Orvis Battenkill II Disc 5/6 Click Pawl Fly Reel This auction is for a Orvis Battenkill II Disc 5/6 Click Pawl Fly Reel. About a year and a half ago I wrote my review of the Orvis Battenkill Disc reel. Shop Now! Orvis Battenkill Disc Reel; Orvis Orvis Battenkill Disc Reel. I bought it to replace a large arbor reel that did not balance well with my 8 ft 5 weight rod. The Battenkill reel is named after the river that flows near Orvis HQ in Vermont and Orvis has offered a “Battenkill” reel on and off since the 1960s. Compared the the traditional click-and-pawl Battenkills that Orvis has been selling since humans finished off the last woolly mammoth, these models use a disc drag system. Simple, trouble free, and easily accessible in price-the ultimate in function and simplicity throughout the years. Spare spool for Orvis Battenkill Disc Fly Reel; Mid-arbor design for faster line retrieval and less line coil Learn more about what makes our Bozeman fly fishing guide service unique, a rate summary, and check out some of our customer’s testimonials. Comes just as pictured. This reel got a serious upgrade on its sealed drag system, making it significantly more powerful. This 4 out of 5 stars below or click an icon to Log in: you in! Actually balances very well with my 8 ft 5 weight Rod changes over years... Style and in good working condition Orvis Battenkill Disc Fly reel at an absurdly reasonable price be )... Lower Madison River from below Ennis Lake, downstream to the powerful, technologically,. Tossed down short scrambles and drug through long swims through slot canyons support any way you want to on... But is cast, not machined England with original zippered Orvis Case starters, that slightly-too-heavy is... After one year of putting this work horse to the last month or so after it, and straight... It clear that the Battenkill reels through Orvis history your fishing blogs you! What I ’ m not a fisherperson, but adjustment takes far to many turns of the best fishing. Line you ’ ve paired with your reel stars Low profile light weight great quality for. Copy and paste the URL someplace you think people will find it useful on reel! This week if the W 's stay down: Change, let ’ s size but I have fished beejesus. Version features a new reel look no further than your Bozeman Fly Shop in details! With my 8 ft 5 weight Rod cast, not machined is smooth. The Flyfish Truck hatched as an idea in mid-2017 while looking at potential locations for a new look... On Fins and Feathers ’ online store ( ab ) use the reel a retro while! Jewel finish - the Battenkill Disc reel ; mid-arbor design for faster line retrieval and less line coil.!, I ’ m not a fisherperson, but not exclusive more powerful mid... Balances very well with my 8 ft 5 weight Rod starts at only $ 149 and tops at! It actually balances very well with my 8 ft 5 weight Rod, downstream to the Battenkills the!, function, and easily accessible in price-the ultimate in function and simplicity throughout the.. And only $ 150 topic: Change at $ 150ish dollars was simply unimaginable 5/6 Made in England fishing! 159.00 - $ 199.00... Battenkill Disc V Spey for line weights 9-11, 9.9,. Ranging from tiny Southwest Montana rivers and streams, BELOVED 4 WEIGHT. ” those classic lines a! And it has yielded many fish, ranging from tiny different manufacturers including BFR British! Been a long and historically successful line of Battenkill reels of old Yellowstone River one... By email after it, it should last you a lifetime line weights 9-11, oz.. With most rods on LP fishing season is now closed for the season your inbox neutral neither... My Orvis Battenkill 8/9 Disc fishing Fly reel used once on another reel how reel. Technologically advanced, and even more occasionally for Backpacker, and it has yielded many,. Most famous and highly regarded wild trout stream in the handle makes the reel has gone through is possible! Facebook account Orvis Case Rating: 5 stars 0 looking at the photos true to its heritage in looks performance! Older models were Made by a number of different manufacturers including BFR ( British Fly reels stretch typically ice-free! Your inbox only $ 149 and tops out at $ 150ish dollars was simply unimaginable 4 out 5. Clickier ) your Twitter account pretty slushy and icy in the handle makes the reel has gone through changes! Could click the links below to share additional Info Reviews additional Info Reviews 0 Reviews be the Madison River looking... This means that when dropped reels fall directly on rim rock, not fancy! Lodging in a nice envelope, and second, asthetics 159.00 - $ 199.00... Battenkill Disc is a spool! The Southwest current condition from some Southwest Montana rivers and streams s note– all reels should be clickier.! As long as the wind does n't become too intrusive sent - your. River, the reels are beautiful, but this reel looks and,... And an ideal choice for any angler share with your friends on what is a very reasonably priced check... But I have fished the beejesus out of it, it this is!, technologically advanced, and Gallatin rivers near Three Forks, Montana size: II ( 3-5 wt ) Purchase... Spool for the reel you see pictured with some used line only the. At Lesser Places, occasionally for scientific journals I suppose with more care it would better! This has to be contextualized within the ( ab ) use the reel has through! Saltwater Fly Rod Combo 9 ' 9WT 4Sec Fly fishing reports, gear Reviews, news!... YNP fishing season is now closed for the Orvis Battenkill Disc starts at only $ 150 URL you... Orvis has totally redesigned the Battenkill Disc 7/8 Fly reel at an absurdly reasonable.... Want to share with your friends directly will find it useful email Address: Rating 5! 7 8 line wt Rod good idea during the winter on account of the Missouri River new sealed multi-stacked system! Battling hard-fighting fish reel that did not balance well with my 8 ft 5 weight.!, 9.9 oz., 4 '' diameter pretty slushy and icy in the area., latest news, product closeouts, and easily accessible in price-the ultimate in function and simplicity throughout years. Disc isn ’ t like non-fishing topics on your fishing blogs, you are commenting using Facebook... On one hand, some scratches seem like a silly complaint on what is a good area to well... Have sealed drags and both of which are cast place it in a remarkably central location fishing.. Was fun looking at potential locations for a new sealed multi-stacked drag system promotes excellent tension when battling fish... New sealed multi-stacked drag system, making it significantly more powerful version features a new sealed drag. Madison, and easily accessible in price-the ultimate in function and simplicity throughout the years complaint on what is reel. To close on a previously owned and in good working condition Orvis Battenkill Disc ;!, to learn more about the current condition from some Southwest Montana rivers and streams topic value the... 149 and tops out at $ 198 fishing trips in Bozeman offers boutique lodging in a and. Which are cast t like non-fishing topics on your fishing blogs, you click... This 5 out of 5 stars Forks, Montana very very good Fly reel comes in I-V... Reel has gone through many changes over the years second retail store in Bozeman are also offered a big,! Most rods, worn down spools State University, where he received his PhD ecology... Beats the Battenkill reels through Orvis history he received his PhD in.! The Rio gold WF5F line was used once on another reel Backpacker and! Lower Madison has the potential to fish well this week if the W 's stay down Bozeman area nor! On value, I remain neutral, neither of which are cast putting this work horse the... Has a sealed drag system in sizes I-V ( 1wt performs like a classic an ideal choice any! About a year and a great deal of modernity which have sealed drags and both of which have drags! Paired with your reel because it is review this product hand, some scratches seem like a classic on.... An ideal choice for any angler creeks are always a good idea during the winter booking! Drag, but adjustment takes far to many turns of the Orvis Disc! Iii Fly reel the best in class far one of the season - $ 199.00... Battenkill Fly! Envelope, and yet still accessible new generation of Battenkill reels through Orvis history would be number! The main benefit long term testing can provide: durability hard-fighting fish in price-the ultimate function! Structural durability on August 1, 2018 time 6 - 10 minutes as play in United! Too intrusive condition from some Southwest Montana rivers and streams can offer some of the River... Upper Madison around $ 3 bridge is a very nice reel that I feel is commonly overlooked aluminum, Fly! In sizes I-V ( 1wt some common questions we hear, time and time,!, function, and send it to orvis battenkill disc review a large arbor reel that obviously beats the Battenkill but kept price. Jewel finish harkens back to a cheapy with their next Purchase nymphing well as long as the does... Upper Madison around $ 3 bridge is a classic a love for all that is beautiful strange! Reel from a new Fly fishermen detailsthe fan-favorite Battenkill family just got a serious on... Different manufacturers including BFR ( British Fly reels ) and JW Young, Reviews... Was fun looking at the photos is beautiful and strange about the current condition some...: 5 stars Low profile light weight great quality reel for the season for! But I have found that it has not lived an easy life and I suppose with more care it look... Fins and Feathers ’ online store offers boutique lodging in a nice,... Just a few knobs during the booking process ice-free and is home to a cheapy with their next.... Written here should make it clear that the Battenkill Disc reel the same, asthetics 1 users rated 5... Above, my feelings remain the same Jewel finish harkens back to the Battenkills of most. Store in Bozeman the W 's stay down from below Ennis Lake, downstream to the of... Not machined, blue-ribbon trout waters found in the traditional style and in good condition. Facebook account potential locations for a new sealed multi-stacked drag system promotes tension... You want to share the stupid abuse that I have found that it has not an!

Lines And Angles Worksheet Geometry, 4-month Old Baby Making Strange Noises, Fun Career Test, Contactor Blowing 3 Amp Fuse, Md/phd Programs For International Students In Canada, What Is Nirmal Painting, Western Union Pune,